Construction Type: Addition/Renovation
Size: 1,930 Square Feet
One of the oldest houses in Chelsea (built in 1857) was shored up, added onto, and given new life via a full house renovation. The exterior was transformed to compliment community agrarian roots. Monitors were added to allow high daylight and to play off from the industrial architecture often found along railroads. A standing seam metal roof was used to avoid future maintenance and to challenge the local squirrel population. In fact all of the exterior cladding is 24 gage galvanized steel. Some of the corrugated steel siding is brought inside and used under the snack counter to tie inside to out. Similarly alternating patterns of bamboo flooring are arranged to symbolize the adjacent train tracks.